Next Item

GÖRÖG, Demeter & LIPSZKY, Joannis


(Hungary - Slovakia). Mappa Arch Diocesis Strigoniensis ...[dedicated to] Celsiss. ac Reverendiss. Domino Principi Alexandro de Rudna et Divek-Ujfalu...regni Hungariae Primati 1822.

Large engraved folding map on four sheets (overall if joined c. 104 x 124 cm.) , each sheet dissected into 6 sections and backed on linen. Inset view lower left corner of the Basilica of Esztergom (Strigoniensis) and dedication to Alexandra de Rudna surmounted by his portrait and coat of arms, map titled top right. Original partial hand-colouring to towns (marked in red) and cartouches. Some foxing.

Alexander Rudnay (1760-1831) was Primate of Hungary. At the Emperor's request, he moved his seat from Tirnavia to Esztergom in 1820 . The building of the basilica commenced in 1822 and the vignette on this map shows it in its full projected glory, although this plan was not fully completed, the outer wings never being built.
The large and very detailed map shows the huge area of the archbishopric in what was then Northern Hungary now forming the Western half of Slovakia, from the Danube north to Moravia (Czech Republic), extending from Szakolcza (NW) to Cremnitzium (NE) to Budapest (SE) to Posonium (Bratislava) (SW). Table of the breakdown of the population of the individual bishoprics by religion beneath title top right. Key bottom right.
A rare and significant map.

Price £ 1250.00
Stock Code 49272
Share on Facebook | Share Link